Image Map

Taking Better Photos Day 4 - Camera Settings

30 June 2011

You know what really annoys me?  When photographers talk about the triangle but fail to explain what the heck it is.  Don’t worry, I’ll explain what that means soon.  It took me a LONG time to learn how to shoot in manual mode.  You see, our camera’s have all these shooting modes on them.  Point and shoots have a menu where you can choose portrait mode, landscape mode, candlelight mode, action mode, etc.  SLR’s have Program Priority, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual Mode, and a few like the point and shoots.  Ack!  Even better, I don’t speak user manual and the language puts me to sleep.  So, I learned through a lot of research and a lot of trial and error about what all of these mean. 
Today, I’m just going to give a quick explanation of “the triangle”.  It consists of 3 things (obviously, since a triangle has 3 sides).

  1. Shutter Speed
  2. Aperture
  3. ISO
Basically, these 3 things are what make your picture turn out with the correct lighting.  Not too dark (underexposed), not too light (overexposed).  Over the next three days I’m going to go over them individually, but for today, I don’t want to overwhelm anybody. 

I do have another tip regarding composition today.  Framing is another technique that photographers like to use.  Is there anything around you that could provide a natural frame for your subject?  Alexander and I went on a picnic yesterday in Olmsted Falls (I was a lucky and got to take the day off work).  There’s a great covered bridge that made a perfect backdrop frame.  Framing gives interest to your photos and gives them context.

No comments:

Post a Comment